Back Forum New

Next week the European

PIRAEUS, Greece -- Manchester Uniteds troubled season took another turn for the worse on Tuesday as David Moyes side slumped to a 2-0 first leg defeat to Olympiakos in the last 16 of the Champions League. Obi Melifonwu Womens Jersey . Moyes described the match as "the worst performance in Europe" hed seen from his players, and took full responsibility for the result. Argentine striker Alejandro Dominguez broke the deadlock at Karaiskaki Stadium when he got his foot to a shot from Yiannis Maniatis in the 38th minute and turned the ball past goalkeeper David de Gea. First-half composure from the visitors soon turned to complacency after the break when striker Joel Campbell, on loan from Uniteds Premier League rival Arsenal, caught De Gea off guard with a well-placed shot in the 55th minute. Wayne Rooney produced no threat up front and strike partner Robin van Persie missed the visitors only clear chance -- a shot over the crossbar in the 82nd minute -- as United slipped to its first defeat in the Champions League this season. "It was a very poor performance, and we didnt deserve to get anything. To a man there was nothing," Moyes said. "Im just surprised. I just didnt see that level of performance coming. We didnt offer enough on the night to create any goals." Olympiakos coach Michel Gonzalez played down the implications of the result, saying that 2-0 wasnt a big enough margin to give an advantage in terms of qualifying. "I will never say anything bad about Manchester United, because I have such great respect for them. The players know that we still have more to do," Gonzalez said. "But I cant hide it. I am very happy. Its the players Im so proud of ... to get this result against a team of this calibre." Runaway leaders in the Greek league, Olympiakos fielded its untested strikers after the sale last month of Kostas Mitroglou. But the hosts threatened early with Dominguez nearly grabbing a goal in the eighth minute, stopped only by a last-ditch tackle from Nemanja Vidic. Moyes brought on Danny Wellbeck and Shinji Kagawa in the second half but they made little impact, while Olympiakos nearly made it 3-0 in 67th but Michael Olaitan failed to finish. Despite the defeat, United midfielder Michael Carrick insisted that the three-time European champions could turn the result around in the second leg on March 19 at Old Trafford. "We just havent been getting the right results," Carrick said. "As players we have to stand up ... thats the business were in." Premier League champions last season under Alex Ferguson, United is currently sixth in the domestic standings -- 15 points adrift of leader Chelsea. It also made an early exit from the FA Cup at the hands of Swansea. Obi Melifonwu Youth Jersey . Dallas also Monday recalled defenceman Aaron Rome from his conditioning assignment with the Texas Stars of the American Hockey League and assigned goaltender Jack Campbell to the AHL squad. David Sharpe Womens Jersey . The two teams will play through the completion of the game starting at 5pm ct on Wednesday. The regularly scheduled Wednesday night matchup will follow that and will now be seven innings. http://www.authenticraidersfansclub.com/Black-Friday-Gareon-Conley-Jersey/ . Now Arizonas new manager is hoping Yasmany Tomas can have the same effect on the Diamondbacks.St. Andrews, Scotland - Oliver Wilson fired a final- round, 2-under 70 on Sunday and he held on to win the Alfred Dunhill Links Championship by one shot. Wilson used a charge on the back nine on the Old Course at St. Andrews to finish the week at 17-under-par 271. The win is the first of Wilsons career in 228 events on the European Tour. I dont have words for it, Wilson said. Its been 10 years, 11 years coming ... Today I was just trying to be patient. I got off to a good start ball- striking wise, but a couple three-putts and you kind of think here we go. I just stayed patient. After Wilson made par at No. 18, Tommy Fleetwood was the last threat, but his birdie putt slid just by to the right. Fleetwood finished tied for second at 16-under 272 after a 4-under 68 on Sunday. He was joined at minus-16 by world No. 1 Rory McIlroy (68) and Richie Ramsay (67). Chris Doak carded a 6-under 66 and he finished alone in fifth at 15-under 273. Richard Sterne (67), Shane Lowry (67) and Louis Oosthuizen (68) all ended tied for sixth at minus-14. Wilson was very quiet to start his round as he made no birdies, one bogey and eight pars on the opening nine. In the meantime, others behind Wilson made their moves early. Richie Ramsay made four birdies and a bogey on the front nine, and he continued that hot stretch with two more birdies on 10 and 11 to move into a share of the lead with Fleetwood at minus-16. Fleetwood also opened strong with gains on three, five, six and eight to finish the front nine even with Ramsay and two shots ahead of Wilson. McIlroy was also in contention despite making double-bogey at the first. After that, the worlds top player rattled off four straight birdies from No. 2 and he made the turn at minus-14. A birdie on No. 10 got McIlroy to within one of the leaders. A Wilson birdie on No. 10 moved him even with McIlroy and one shot back. Anotther gain for McIlroy on No. Gareon Conley Youth Jersey. 12 was followed by a birdie on No. 11 from Wilson, making it a four-way tie for first at minus-16. Ramsay took over sole possession of first place with a birdie on 14 and it looked as if he was going to run away with the title after making it back-to- back birdies with a gain on 15, putting him two shots up. It was a rough finish for Ramsay, however, as he bogeyed 16 and 17. A par at the last was not enough as Ramsay finished a shot back. Right after Ramsays bogey on 17, Wilson put an incredible approach shot on 16 to within a couple feet and he kicked that in for birdie to take over the lead at 17-under. The shot I hit on 16 was probably the best shot Ive hit in my life, said Wilson. McIlroy made a bogey on 17 to fall two back and a birdie at the last was not enough to force a playoff. Wilson and Fleetwood, both playing in the final group, both made it on the 18th green in two with Wilson leading by one. After Wilson missed his birdie effort and settled for par, Fleetwoods short birdie putt just missed to the right, giving the title to Wilson. Was just trying to calm my mind down the last, Wilson said. Tommy putted great all day and I thought hed make that. Ive been in that position a few times, watching people putt to hole out and win or to get in the playoff. He played great. Im sorry it slipped by, but it was hard to hold the emotion in after that. NOTES: Wilson had nine runner-up finishes in his career without a win before Sunday ... McIlroy was seeking his 10th win on the European Tour ... Wilson played on the European Ryder Cup team in 2008, which was the last time the United States defeated Europe ... Wilson earned 625,787 euros with the victory ... Next week the European Tour heads to Portugal for the Portugal Masters, where David Lynn won by one shot over Justin Walters last year. Cheap NFL Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Wholesale NFL Jerseys Jerseys From China Wholesale NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap Jerseys Cheap Jerseys ' ' '

Bookmark and Share

Back Forum